CP/CMS and CP/M
Bill Cunningham
2015-05-26 22:39:23 UTC
I am just wondering if anyone knows if CP/M was somehow influenced by
the CP/CMS OS that was developed in the 60s? Perhaps Kildall had some
experience with that old OS and developed CP/M.
If anyone knows. I couldn't find any info.

Bill
Dennis Boone
2015-05-27 01:23:38 UTC
Post by Bill Cunningham
I am just wondering if anyone knows if CP/M was somehow influenced by
the CP/CMS OS that was developed in the 60s? Perhaps Kildall had some
experience with that old OS and developed CP/M.
If anyone knows. I couldn't find any info.
First hit for "kildall naval postgraduate vm/cms" is a pdf that
says NPS installed a 360/67 in 1967. Second hit is the wikipedia
entry for CP/M, which says that Kildall had experience with CP/CMS
at NPS.

De
Bill Cunningham
2015-05-27 01:28:32 UTC
Post by Dennis Boone
First hit for "kildall naval postgraduate vm/cms" is a pdf that
says NPS installed a 360/67 in 1967. Second hit is the wikipedia
entry for CP/M, which says that Kildall had experience with CP/CMS
at NPS.
Oh Ok. Well I must not have looked in the right manner. Geesh have to
look a little closer from now on.

Bill
retrogear
2015-05-27 03:27:31 UTC
Internet searches are like The Matrix - "You have to ask the right question"
My research finds that the phrase I search for drastically alters the outcome.

Larry G
Alexandre MONTARON
2015-05-27 07:52:18 UTC
Even if Gary Kildall used an IBM 360/370 (under CP or VM/CMS) at that
time ... CP/M was mostly influenced by DEC PDP instead (PIP utility from
RSX11-M for example).

I found no similitude between CP/M and VM/CMS except that CP/CMS was not
a multi-tasking OS as CP/M wasn't too !

Alex. - NOT IN CP DIRECTORY :-D
Bill
glen herrmannsfeldt
2015-05-27 08:37:35 UTC
Post by Alexandre MONTARON
Even if Gary Kildall used an IBM 360/370 (under CP or VM/CMS) at that
time ... CP/M was mostly influenced by DEC PDP instead (PIP utility from
RSX11-M for example).
I found no similitude between CP/M and VM/CMS except that CP/CMS
was not a multi-tasking OS as CP/M wasn't too !
How about disk drive letters:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drive_letter_assignment

seems that CP/M combined the drive letters from VM/CMS with the
device names from TOPS-10 or other DEC systems.
Post by Alexandre MONTARON
Alex. - NOT IN CP DIRECTORY :-D
-- glen
Alexandre MONTARON
2015-05-27 21:18:12 UTC
Post by glen herrmannsfeldt
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drive_letter_assignment
seems that CP/M combined the drive letters from VM/CMS with the
device names from TOPS-10 or other DEC systems.
OK ... that's not a lot but OK ...

Notice that CP/CMS filesystem lacks sub-dirs like CP/M if you want ...
Not much :-D

Alex.
Bill Cunningham
2015-05-27 19:35:23 UTC
Even if Gary Kildall used an IBM 360/370 (under CP or VM/CMS) at that time
... CP/M was mostly influenced by DEC PDP instead (PIP utility from
RSX11-M for example).
I found no similitude between CP/M and VM/CMS except that CP/CMS was not a
multi-tasking OS as CP/M wasn't too !
Alex. - NOT IN CP DIRECTORY :-D
Well the CP stands for "Control Program" in CP/CMS and CP/M so there is
some similarity.

Bill
Alexandre MONTARON
2015-05-27 21:09:12 UTC
I was only thinking about the OS but if you look at what runs under
VM/CMS: the IBM PL/1 (Programming Language #1) compiler -I think-
inspired Gary for its PL/M ... And even real PL/1 seems to be used for
some compilations in CP/M (see sources for that). Was not a DEC product
I'm pretty sure.

Also, under VM/CMS the TYPE command works like under CP/M but that's
very narrow and in the '90s we often use Xedit (kind of WM or WS for
VM/CMS) instead of TYPE for viewing a file.
Post by Bill Cunningham
Even if Gary Kildall used an IBM 360/370 (under CP or VM/CMS) at that time
... CP/M was mostly influenced by DEC PDP instead (PIP utility from
RSX11-M for example).
I found no similitude between CP/M and VM/CMS except that CP/CMS was not a
multi-tasking OS as CP/M wasn't too !
Alex. - NOT IN CP DIRECTORY :-D
Well the CP stands for "Control Program" in CP/CMS and CP/M so there is
some similarity.
Bill
OK for this one also !

Alex.
Dennis Boone
2015-05-27 21:44:35 UTC
Post by Alexandre MONTARON
in the '90s we often use Xedit (kind of WM or WS for
VM/CMS) instead of TYPE for viewing a file.
XEDIT didn't appear in VM until 1980, though.

De
R***@yahoo.com
2016-05-03 19:45:32 UTC
Post by Bill Cunningham
I am just wondering if anyone knows if CP/M was somehow influenced by
the CP/CMS OS that was developed in the 60s? Perhaps Kildall had some
experience with that old OS and developed CP/M.
If anyone knows. I couldn't find any info.
Bill
I don't know if this is the right thing to do, but I am looking for someone with a CPM computer.

I had a Sanyo CPM computer for several years.

I have a number of 5 1/4 disks that has some information stored/recorded
on them. I no longer have access to a CPM computer but, I would like to see what information might be on those disks.

I am in the Los Angeles area. Are there any CPM computer clubs in the area that I could contact?

Thank you for your reply.

RHS
818/990-0091
Geoff Barnard
2016-05-04 00:42:35 UTC
Well, if you have a PC with a 5.25" floppy drive, then you could use
something like 22DISK to access the disks, check the directory, and copy
files that might be some use to the PC for viewing/storing/converting.

You couldn't run anything directly.

To do that you'd need further software, emulator, etc.

I cannot remember if 22DISK supports any SANYO formats, but if not, I
suppose the format could be worked out and a format created?

Geoff Barnard, Guisborough, England
818/990-0091
Geoff Barnard
2016-05-04 00:51:47 UTC
Well, just checked my 22DISK.

There are definitions for SANYO MBC-1000 (DSDD 40 track) and MBC-1250 (DSDD
80 track) disks. Prob others could be added as well.

If you could find someone with a PC with the relevant 5.25" drive (40t or
80t), and ideally DOS (Windows may not care for the direct access to the
FDC) and then go from there.

Geoff