A beautiful ESP32 software emulation of the Altair 8080 with VGA and PS/2 support
REA Electric
2019-07-27 14:24:06 UTC
Checkout Fabrizio Di Vittorio wonderful work with ESP32
Published on Jul 27, 2019
Emulating Altair 8800 with FabGL (ESP32) - CP/M languages (BBC Basic, Nevada Basic, forth, lisp...)
Demo using FabGL Library (VGA Controller, PS/2 Keyboard Controller, Graphics Library, Sound Engine, Game Engine and ANSI/VT Terminal for the ESP32)

https://github.com/fdivitto/fabgl
m***@gmail.com
2019-07-30 14:14:50 UTC
I checked out the link. Very interesting project. I looked up that board on the Internet and see that it is not expensive. It has all of the connectors already attached but I cannot figure out where the SD card goes?

Do they mention where the CPM files are stored?

FYI: I have a TTGO board running runcpm and it stores the CPM software on a sd card (sd card slot was on the TTGO board).
Richard Deane
2019-07-30 15:36:34 UTC
It doesnt have an SD card interface, and I cant see any connection pins to allow an external module. I assume it is just using the 4MB of internal flash (minus that needed for any rom code). Could be adequate for many uses. It would of course be fantastic if it could be upgraded to SD (or fake SD through usb or wifi connection if fast enough)
Randy McLaughlin
2019-07-30 16:09:57 UTC
There are many paths to CP/M emulation, PI 3 is cheap enough yet extremely flexible. FPGA for raw power.

That said hats off to all new forms of emulations.

Randy
Lawrence Woodman
2019-07-30 18:02:35 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
I checked out the link. Very interesting project. I looked up that board on the Internet and see that it is not expensive. It has all of the connectors already attached but I cannot figure out where the SD card goes?
Do they mention where the CPM files are stored?
FYI: I have a TTGO board running runcpm and it stores the CPM software on a sd card (sd card slot was on the TTGO board).
Interestingly this board is also used by an IMSAI 8080 replica that has
recently started shipping:
https://thehighnibble.com/imsai8080/

Lorry

---
How To Configure Super Directory (SD) Using ED, ASM and LOAD on CP/M:

Richard Deane
2019-08-07 21:38:06 UTC
Post by REA Electric
Checkout Fabrizio Di Vittorio wonderful work with ESP32
Published on Jul 27, 2019
Emulating Altair 8800 with FabGL (ESP32) - CP/M languages (BBC Basic, Nevada Basic, forth, lisp...)
Demo using FabGL Library (VGA Controller, PS/2 Keyboard Controller, Graphics Library, Sound Engine, Game Engine and ANSI/VT Terminal for the ESP32)
http://youtu.be/y_Y5Z7Ks5yA
https://github.com/fdivitto/fabgl
Does anyone have details of how to program the ttgo vga board from arduino ide - I have not managed to crack the configuration requirements yet.

Richard
REA Electric
2019-08-08 02:02:59 UTC
Post by Richard Deane
Post by REA Electric
Checkout Fabrizio Di Vittorio wonderful work with ESP32
Published on Jul 27, 2019
Emulating Altair 8800 with FabGL (ESP32) - CP/M languages (BBC Basic, Nevada Basic, forth, lisp...)
Demo using FabGL Library (VGA Controller, PS/2 Keyboard Controller, Graphics Library, Sound Engine, Game Engine and ANSI/VT Terminal for the ESP32)
http://youtu.be/y_Y5Z7Ks5yA
https://github.com/fdivitto/fabgl
Does anyone have details of how to program the ttgo vga board from arduino ide - I have not managed to crack the configuration requirements yet.
Richard
The TTGO VGA ESP32 is a good place to start for the first time ESP32 user but it lacks GPIO pins for expansion

Adding ESP32 board support to Arduino IDE see https://randomnerdtutorials.com/installing-the-esp32-board-in-arduino-ide-windows-instructions/

Then add required Libraries ie FABGL libraries etc..
Richard Deane
2019-08-08 06:12:43 UTC
Thanks, shall try all this layer today.
Richard
Richard Deane
2019-08-08 08:08:02 UTC
Post by REA Electric
Post by Richard Deane
Post by REA Electric
[...]
Got it working ok, updated esp32 in arduino ide. All ok; now I have to workout how to change the disk selection and content. Probably a case of rtfm.

It looks good, and provides a very cheap cp/m solution.
m***@gmail.com
2019-08-08 17:43:34 UTC
Where did you get your board?

I ordered from Banggood. With shipping, $18.27 CAD

LILYGO® TTGO VGA32 V1.1 Controller PS/2 Mouse And Keyboard Controller Graphics Library Game Engine ANSI/VT Terminal For ESP32

Waiting for it to arrive...
Richard Deane
2019-08-08 20:39:41 UTC
Ordered mine from ali express, arrived yesterday (Scotland), slightly cheaper than banggood.

I am now trying to resolve how to save changes disk images or introduce new; need to know if xmodem via usb/serial to esp32 will work and how to do spiff disk export from esp32vga to pc
REA Electric